Going through a separation is without a doubt one of the most traumatic experience one can go through. This is particularly so when there are children involved. The emotional and financial impact of a separation can be considerable.
The number of issues to resolve can often seem overwhelming. You may be asking yourself the following questions:
- “Will I have custody of my children? How often will I see them?”
- “How much support am I entitled to?”
- “How much support will I have to pay?”
- “Can I keep the house?”
- “What about my pension?”
- “Do we have to go to court?”
- “How much is this going to cost me?”.
When helping clients who are going through a separation, my objective is threefold:
- Negotiate a settlement which is in your best interest;
- Minimize the damage to the co-parenting relationship. Although you may be separating from your spouse, you will likely have to maintain a positive parenting relationship; &,
- Finalize your separation in a cost effective manner. This may mean exploring mediation, four-way meetings with the parties and their lawyers, or other creative settlement solutions.
Through discussions with you, I will help you identify the settlement method which is in your, and your family’s, best interest.
I have designed this website to help you answer some of the questions you may have now.
Please feel free to peruse the various sub-sections of the Family Law Heading in this website (custody, access, child support, spousal support, division of property, divorce, domestic agreements, the court process, out of court settlements), to educate yourself on Canadian Family Law.
I am available to answer any questions you may have. Contact my offices (613.841.9099 or [email protected]) at any time to schedule an initial consultation.
I am here to help.
Stéphane A. MonPremier
Lawyer, President and CEO